The opinions expressed in this post are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily reflect opinions or positions held by Indivisible Northampton-Swing Left Western MA.
Vote in September 6th’s Primary! Here’s what you need to know (thanks to Anne-Louise Smallen and the Going Bold for Democracy Team)
The Primaries in Massachusetts are September 6 and if you are a registered voter you can cast your vote by mail starting August 17, or vote in person on September 6 at your precinct location. To find your precinct location, go to https://www.sec.state.ma.us/WhereDoIVoteMA/WhereDoIVote. If you have not registered to vote in Massachusetts, you can do so until August 27 with valid ID, including a driver’s license, ID from the Registry of Motor Vehicles, and others too. You can also register online at. https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ovr/ You can also register in person at your Town or City Hall
Here is a list of the Democratic candidates running in the primaries.
- Our current Governor is Republican Charlie Baker, and is not running in 2022.
- Maura Healey https://maurahealey.com is our current Attorney General and is the only Democratic candidate in the Governor race. Our votes will help make her the next Governor of Massachusetts.
- Kim Driscoll https://www.kimdriscoll.org is the current mayor of Salem.
- Dr. Tami Gouveia https://www.tamigouveia.com is the state representative for the 14th district,
- Eric Lesser https://www.ericlesser.com is a state senator from western Mass.
- Quentin Palfrey Quentin Palfrey – Democrat for Attorney General is currently the Deputy General Counsel at the U.S. Department of Commerce and previously served in the Obama and Biden administrations.
- Shannon Liss-Riordan https://shannonforag.com is a labor attorney who won many large class action cases.
- Andrea Campbell https://www.andreacampbell.org is a lawyer and on the Boston City Council.
Secretary of State:
- Incumbent William Galvin https://www.sec.state.ma.us is running for re-election against
- Tanisha Sullivan https://tanishasullivan.com who is an attorney, civil rights leader and dedicated public servant. Under Galvin the state has fallen far behind in implementing rules that make it easier for people to vote and IN-SLWM is endorsing Tanisha Sullivan for her bold ideas.
Governor’s Council advises the governor on judicial nominations (judges), pardons and commutations. The four Democratic candidates for District 8 are
- Shawn Allyn https://www.facebook.com/ShawnAllyn4Gov/, a trial lawyer in Holyoke,
- Michael Fenton https://www.votemikefenton.com, an attorney and lawmaker,;
- Tara Jacobs https://tarajacobs.com, a member of the North Adams school committee and the chair of the North Adams Democratic party and
- Jeffrey Morneau https://www.facebook.com/ElectJeffMorneau, a Springfield attorney.
In addition, some of our favorite legislators are up for re-election this year and are running unopposed: US House Representative Jim Mc Govern U.S. Congressman Jim McGovern, Senator Jo Comerford https://senatorjocomerford.org and Representative Lindsay Sabadosa LINDSAY SABADOSA. It would be good to show them our appreciation with our votes.
In Hampshire County, the Sheriff position is on the ballot.
- Incumbent Patrick Cahillane https://www.facebook.com/PatrickJCahillane/ is seeking a second six-year term. His challengers are
- Yvonne Gittleson https://yvonneforsheriff.com, a correctional program specialist, and
- Caitlin Sepeda, https://www.sepedaforsheriff.com/, a correctional nurse.
We hope this will help you as you get ready to vote. In Massachusetts, many of the Democratic candidates chosen during the primaries are then elected in the general election. So vote now to select our leaders for the future. Your vote counts! Use it wisely! And please forward this email to your friends and group emails.